Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why Everyone Should Have a Chance to be our Hometeacher!

In our church, we have Hometeachers. These are a couple of guys from our congregation (we call it our ward) who basically just check in with us once a month, see how we're doing, share a quick spiritual thought, and are there for us if we need anything throughout the month. Our kids LOVE blabbing their ears off. One of our current hometeacher's, who's a great guy, was here last night and what happened is a typical hometeaching visit to the Walker family. (They've been crazier, but this is the one I haven't had time to block out from my memory yet!!!)....I started rambling because I'm a nervous talker. (If I don't know what to say, I just talk more! My dad used to say, "you're just talking to hear yourself! I don't even think YOU know what you're talking about!".  Shane can be so quiet, it drives me crazy because I feel like I have to keep the conversation going when people are over.) Then I went to have the kids come up from downstairs and Alivia (5 yr. old) started throwing a REALLY LOUD yelling fit. I had to pick her up and carry her up the stairs as she was shouting, "I want to stay down here and play! I NEVER get to play with Emma!, I don't care if the hometeacher is here!". He totally heard all of that. As I was sternly correcting her, I kept calling her the baby's name and everyone would look at the baby like, "what is she doing wrong?". I totally sounded crazy! I took Alivia to her room and told her she could come out when she was ready to apologize for being rude. Lilyanna (13 month old) started demanding that the hometeacher hold her, which he did. So he was holding our baby, and Daniel was going on and on about a dead squashed skunk on the road,  Emma started talking about how bad her school stinks, and Josh tried to gross Emma out by doing weird things with his eyeball. Then I let Alivia come out and she apologized and said she'd be nice.  Then she told him that her mom never cleans at night, takes naps every day, and that her and Emma's bedroom is a MESS.  When he tried to give us back Lilyanna she told him off in her baby voice and demanded that he keep holding her. Emma said that Lilyanna must want to go home with him so Daniel started crying and saying, "HE ALREADY HAS A BABY!". Finally, the poor guy escaped out the door back to his own family who I'm sure seemed like ANGELS. That's why everyone should have the chance the to be our hometeacher!

3 comments:

  1. I love your stories! Thanks for the laugh. And the picture of the little one...she's so cute. That little mad face is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that picture is SO CUTE!!!!! this story is hilarious!!! i love it! good one!

    ReplyDelete