Monday, January 24, 2011

Positive Motivation

I'm living proof that the reverse psychology mumbo jumbo REALLY works! I'm not sure why every story I share has to have a really pathetic beginning before I can get to the good stuff, but this one is no different.  I mentioned in another post that I've been lacking in the "hot mamma" department. In my defense, it's not that I don't care. I used to be quite prissy, but these 5 munchkins have been wearing me out! On Fridays Shane and I like to have dates and this Friday I decided to not allow myself the usual pony-tail and just slopped on mascera for our date. Unfortunately though, I woke up to one crisis after another and Lilyanna was fussy and clingy ALL day. I ran out the door at noon wearing flannel pajama bottoms, an un-matching shirt, flip-flops, hair not combed.... (you get the idea) with just enough time to get Alivia to the bus. The whole way to the bus I was thinking, "Who is this pathetic haggard woman running down the street?". Even Alivia who's FIVE did her hair! By the time I got back home, I was fed-up with myself, but I couldn't get in the bath until the older kids got home from school. Then with everything they needed, it took Herculian effort to make the time. Finally, I fixed my hair, put on an out-fit I felt great in, and took time to do my make-up the way I like it. I was a bit late to meet Shane, but it was worth it because I felt so great! However, right as I was running out the door,  Lilyanna had a VERY MESSY diaper. I mean the kind men who have changed diapers have nightmares over. Right as I began to change her, another child started yanking my arm to tell me something, the phone rang (Shane wondering where I was), and Lilyanna decided it was a good time to explore the contents of her diaper. Somehow in all of the craziness, what was INSIDE her diaper ended up on my shirt!!!! True story, you can vomit.  I was in tears and thought, "WHY do I even bother!!!!". I let Shane know that I would be REALLY late now and I changed, doing the best I could to still feel like someone's date and not just a mom who gets dumped on. When I got to where Shane was, he made it all worth it.  He told me how amazing I looked. Then he told me again. Then he told me AGAIN (I think he added a WOW that time or something).  I could tell he really meant it and the first time it was so sweet. The second time, I thought, "okay, he has noticed how I've let myself go most of the time". The third time it was like rubbing salt in my wound. Finally I said, "That's it! Don't you dare tell me ONE more time how AMAZING I look!!!! I'm aware that I don't usually look like this!" Thank goodness he's a patient man!   I have to admit though that what he did worked. I've decided to beat the kids at their own game... I get up before they do and get ready before them! I've fixed my hair and make-up for three days in a row.  I know that it was Shane's reaction that finally motivated me to make drastic changes. I love that guy, of course I want him to be happy! Infact,  it worked so well on me, so I've tried this "positve motivation" on my most "strong-willed" child. I tell her non-stop how wonderful she is. I compliment everything she does and guess what? She's been running around helping before I ask and being a really great kid so that I'll keep it up. Shane is an amazing guy for setting the example for me. He never has mentioned that I would look better in something other than flannel pjs or sweats. He still told me I was beautiful on those days, but Friday was different. He could write an article or something about how to motivate an over-whelmed wife, but the crazy thing is, he doesn't even know he's doing it! He would be so embarrassed if he knew I wrote all of this stuff, but I just have to share it. It's so good for me to look at the bright side of some of my crazy times!

2 comments:

  1. I chose the song I did with a sense of humor. It's true, but I'm being extra cheesy on purpose so it's okay to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just know, when they grow up, you kind of miss the craziness!

    ReplyDelete